Trinity Mirror's Journal launches online revenue driver Addiply

ncjMedia Ltd, part of Trinity Mirror’s North East operation, has launched Addiply – a three click advertising system that aims to provide a low-cost, simple offering to the online advertising marketplace. The business, which has invested heavily in its online offering and seen significant traffic growth, has chosen to install Addiply across the Journal’s 22 community websites serving Northumberland.  The Journal is the region’s leading regional morning newspaper and is committed to the production of bespoke content for each of the communities it covers.

Addiply is perfectly suited to such ‘hyper-local’ sites, which are completely tailored to the local community, having been designed to give advertisers a self-serve, low cost solution that reaches the neighbourhood they are based in.  For example, for a minimal PayPal payment, a shop in Amble can drive footfall by publicising an offer or sale for a week / month or just use the advert for brand awareness purposes - see

For every advert placed, the publisher gets to keep 90% of the revenue earned, with the remaining 10% of fees split between Addiply and PayPal.

To keep costs low, adverts are pure text and include the business name, nature and a click through to the organisation’s website.  Where no website is in place, advertisers have the option to purchase a basic low cost holding page, designed by the ncjMedia digital team.

The whole process takes three clicks only and on placement (following approval by the publisher), advertisers can immediately see where the advert sits on their chosen site, resolving a common complaint from users of Google ads.  No search engine optimization is required, limiting the effort and cost involved.

New media entrepreneur and former football writer Rick Waghorn developed Addiply and brokered the deal with ncjMedia.  He said: “The global media industry is in the midst of a revolution – how we deliver content and above all, how that content is paid for, is an issue with which we are all struggling.

“ncjMedia continues to stay ahead of the curve in the quest to unearth the next, sustainable model for the provision of local news and we are delighted they have recognized the simplicity of Addiply.

“Addiply empowers small, local businesses to place an online advert in front of the audience that matters to them without the complexity and time costs of other advertising models.”

Regional multimedia manager for The Journal and Evening Chronicle, Helen Dalby, said: “This new advertising service is great for local business owners because it is so quick and easy to use, with the ad going up on their chosen website in a matter of minutes.

“Our Northumberland community sites have 25,000 monthly users in total and provide vital news coverage for the county at a genuinely local level.  Now, by partnering with Addiply, we’re able to offer a simple and low-cost advertising option to business owners with that same ultra-local appeal.”

For more information on Addiply, please contact:  Rick Waghorn at Addiply on 07920 804477.  For more information about The Journal’s community websites, please contact Helen Dalby at